Monday, December 29, 2008

Looking back...

Man this year just flew by! So much has taken place in my life this year it's crazy. I never would have pictured myself where i am now at the beginning of this year. To sum it up:

2008 was great. (Yes, it does rhyme.)

Let's see where do i begin?

At the beginning of this year, i found myself working a miserable job as an irrigation installer, engaged to a beautiful girl and not exactly sure how i was going to provide enough for the both of us, let alone just her. I found myself taking a break from seminary in order to focus on job and getting married. I found myself at the end of short rope. One of my best friends, who i followed to that miserable job, had moved to Florida and became a youth pastor in Tallahassee. I found myself wondering what to do next.

On the most cold, miserable day of work a beacon of light erupted into my life. My friend from Florida called and asked if i was looking for a job. At first i thought he was pulling my chain, as he often does, but no, he was for reals. (As we say on the streets...)

At the church he was working at there was an open position at the church's TV station. I found myself intrigued. I then found myself going to a job interview, getting a new job, relocating myself to Tallahassee, adding stress to my engagement, leaving good friends behind, making new friends, renting my first apartment, and this was all before April.

On April 4th, i found myself in a wedding ceremony. Mine. I found myself no longer just Joshua Vasquez, but Mr. and Mrs. Joshua Vasquez. Two had become one.

With that, i found that my life was changing. She moved in, she decorated, i hung pictures, i hung curtains, i hung a lot of things i never would have if i was single.

I learned my new job. i found that video editing is a little trickier than it looks. i found that dumping programs to the air was also trickier than it looks. I found tricks of the trade.

I met a new youth group. I met new kids. I became a youth counselor to a new youth group.

I argued theology with a good friend to the point of frustration. I think we both secretly enjoyed it.

I read a book called, "The Way of the Master." I found evangelism is much more serious than "church growth."

I talked to atheists via Youtube videos. I began to blog. I still blog. I'm actually blogging right now.

I've grown in my walk with Christ. I've found that i hunger for his word. I have found myself becoming more conservative. I have found myself differing in opinion with a lot of people. I've found myself to be OK with that.

I've noticed that my view of Christianity is changing. I've also noticed its not the way my age group is changing or for the lack of better word, emerging.

I've discovered that Calvinism is not as wrong as i've been told. I've discovered that the Bible teaches a balance in salvation, which is often not presented today.

I learned that it's biblical to not like "the sinner's prayer."

My wife is awesome. I found out that i'm often not. I've learned that she loves me despite that.

I find myself at the end of a year. I'm looking to the next one.

I find myself wanting children and at the same time not wanting children

I find myself re-reading what i just wrote in shock. (Did i just say that out loud?)

I find myself racking my brain to try and remember anything else. Of course there's something else. There's always something else.

Oh yes. I had a major blowout with my parents. Surprise. (For the record, my wife said i was respectful.)

I think the biggest thing this year was that i am not who i was. And that's OK with me.

I've shared the gospel with close friends and haven't heard back from them. I found out that hurts.

I really don't know how to end this thing.

This next year, there are only a few thing i want:

1. To die to myself and follow Christ.
2. To die to myself and love my wife.
3. That's pretty much about it.
4. But an Xbox 360 would be cool. (you don't have to laugh, that one's for me.)

1 comment:

miranda Cooper said...

hahahaha! i love how u are brutally and hilariously honest!