Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"The Thing I Love About The Church"

You wanna know what I love about the church the most?

I think what I love the most about it, when I really think about it, is that no matter what is going on in my life or what I'm learning in God's Word, I can always find comfort among the church.

I'm talking not just the local church, but the universal church. I love that I can walk with believers in my local church, don't get me wrong. I love my church.

But what I really love, is that christians all over the world and I have a deep love for each other in Jesus Christ. Meaning that I meet a complete stranger and find out they're a believer, that there is this love that we have for each other. Christians you can understand this.

What else is cool is that, I can listen to guys like Matt Chandler, Mark Driscoll, John Piper and C.J. Mahaney and totally benefit from their teaching. That there is a bond that connects us even though I've never personally met these guys.

Even cooler, I can go back into history and read guys like Charles Spurgeon, A.W. Tozer, George Whitefield, St. Augustine and John Calvin and read their commentaries on the Bible.

I can go into the New Testament and learn from Peter, Paul, John and Luke.

And according to Hebrews 11, I can even find believers in the Old Testament.

I love being a part of the church. I love that we're not perfect, but Christ died to justify us. I love that everyone I named has/had faults, but the fact that we're all sold out to Jesus unites us.

"But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were not a people but now you are God's people, once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy."
I Peter 2:9-10

3 comments:

beencalled said...

They all look like blogs from disgruntled former members.

Steve said...

I am not sure the word "disgruntled" is the proper term. Perhaps spiritually abused is a good word for a number of the posters.

beencalled said...

so, are you one of them? what's your story?