Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Depression... (aka sad feeling time)

I have always kinda thought it was dumb when people would say that they were in a depression and would normally laugh at the prescription drug commercials advertising what i like to call, "happy meds", showing people doing awesome things like kayaking or repelling of the side a hundred foot cliff.

But now i find myself depressed for several different reasons which i won't go into because this isn't one of those kind of blogs and i am not one of those kind of blog writers who whine and moan about what sucks in their lives.

And that's always been my problem with depression. People who whine and moan and say, "Woe is me!" I've always been, "Well, stop being sad and be happy." Simple enough right?

Maybe not...

One of the things that has me down right now is that I'm just not sure what God wants me to do in life. I know he has called me to ministry, but as far as that, i don't know anything else. I'm asking him, "what do you want from me?" and receiving very little answer. This and a plethora of many different things has gotten my proverbial panties all up in a bunch.

But because of this i have engrossed myself with scripture and theology. Examples, you say? Fine, besides my normal daily bible study through Hebrews, i'm reading through a book dealing specifically with the doctrine of Christ, i'm watching a sermon series online going through the Song of Solomon and i'm also reading through the Gospels for fun. (yes, you can read scripture for fun!)

So, despite me feeling really crappy, i have decided to place my hope and trust, not in myself, but rather in Christ. I won't be rolling over in my self pity but rather glorifying Him who has beaten death, taken away my sin and will one day return to set up his kingdom on earth.

Well, i guess my opinion on "depression" remains the same. "Just stop being sad and be happy!"

Seems simple enough...

2 comments:

PersonalFailure said...

Please, please, please get evaluated by a medical professional. Depression is not just "the blues", it is not something you can wish away, it is a serious medical condition that can not only ruin your life, but also the lives of everyone who loves you.

beencalled said...

Hey, thanks for your concern, but my depression is so much more than just a medical condition. This blog was only the tip of the iceberg. But i am content that my joy is in Christ and that all hope i have lies in him.